I have closed the survey that I mentioned in the last post, since I had enough responses. Here is the priority order that I inferred from the responses that came in. It may not be exactly the order I work on the features in, depending on my own judgements about relative difficulty etc., but it will certainly inform my choices.
- Manual bank reconciliations (display list of uncleared transactions, check off the cleared ones, confirm that balances match)
- Import an initial chart of accounts from QuickBooks, Quicken or Simply Accounting
- Accounts payable sub-system: specify vendors, record bills, pay bills, reports on outstanding payables etc.
- Enter annual budgets & print actual vs. budget reports
- Cheque printing
- Export bank deposit info from DONATION and import it into ACCOUNTS
- Audit trail
- Make use and display of account numbers optional (except for chart of accounts setup)
- Search for transactions based on various field valuesLock transactions prior to a specified date (override with a specified password)
- More complex reports (year vs. year comparisons, period by period breakdowns etc.)
- Import transactions from online banking systems, for bank accounts or credit cards
- Importing payroll (or other!) transactions
- View calendar of upcoming bill due dates
- Cash flow report (I need help understanding what goes in that!)
- Multi-user network version
Thanks to all who responded.
Of course, I’m still open to input about other required / desired features. To reiterate past statements on the blog (or to individuals), things I’m sure I’m not doing, because they are complex and not needed by enough small to mid-sized churches and charities (which I view as being my “market”) include an Accounts Receivable sub-system, and Inventory.
And again, I will NOT be including payroll calculations in the program. That is prohibitively difficult for a one-man software company like mine, to keep up with all of the rules and forms for all of the different federal, state and province rules and forms for Canada and the U.S.A. Instead, I will be recommending affordable online 3rd-party payroll systems for each country, which can export their transaction or summary information into ACCOUNTS.